Thursday, June 28, 2007

And God said, "Let there be tomatoes".....


...oh no wait, that was me. I had despaired of having a garden this year, because despite my best intentions, there just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do. BUT, when I stopped at the local fruit stand yesterday, I discovered that not only did they still have tomato plants, but they were really quite healthy! So today Preston tilled the garden, under the watchful eye of the bull-who-has-no-name, who before I took this pic was following Preston back and forth along the fence like he was hoping for a handout.

I was hoping for some squash and peppers, but there were none to be had. I did get tomatoes, though, and that was the important thing. I also got beets and sugar-baby watermelon, along with several annuals that I never heard of and cannot pronounce, but they were pretty. And of course, the requisite marigolds. Can't have a garden without marigolds! Now all I have to do is plant them, but the black clouds are coming in from the west and I can hear the thunder rumbling ominously so I think instead of playing in the dirt tonight I shall wait until tomorrow and play in the mud. Ya know, I took the day off today so I could catch up on my sewing and that just didn't happen. I don't know which is worse, my procrastination or my disorganization. Someday I'll get around to figuring that out. But not today.

2 comments:

Carol said...

hey,
i don't have any regular squash for you, but some 2nd generation spaghetti squash is flourishing in my compost pile.If'n ya want some of that to try, just let me know, and it will find its way to your place. need any cukes? plants, i mean, not the fruit :-) and how about raspberries? Seems they are in competition with the strawberries over who can conquer my garden first!! i don't care, they'll both end up in my tummy as fresh snacks, icecream topping, cold soup (with sugar and cream),jam, cordials or maybe even WINE!!!! MWAH HA HA

...screen fades to black, evil laughter echoes in the distance.......

(hmmmm, can't remember, do i sign my name now, or does it show automatically.....)

Carol said...

p.s.
real men wear workboots....