Monday, October 15, 2007

The Great Potato Harvest....

....was less than impressive. I didn't plant potatoes on purpose, you understand, they were volunteers that came up in my compost pile. Or came down, I guess would be more accurate. Yesterday I harvested them all, and got enough to serve two of us. There were lots of them, but look how big they are!I just boiled them with the skins on and added some butter, s & p and parsley and they were pretty darned tasty. Fresh potatoes really do have a lot more flavor than store-bought ones but I can never get them to grow any bigger than this. I think you have to buy actual seed potatoes, I just use the ones I get in the store. Preston was kind of grossed out that they came from the compost pile, but really, what's the difference if I put the compost in where I plant the veggies or if I plant the veggies where the compost is? We also had fresh green beans which I cook like he told me his mom used to make them, steamed with a couple pieces of bacon on top. That's probably all the beans we're gonna get this year. Not a banner year for our garden! On the other hand, we have many, many tomatoes, which I give to my mom and she makes me sauce. I have tried to make my own sauce but I don't have the touch. NOBODY makes sauce like my mom.

It is truly fall now, and yesterday was my favorite day of the year....the day we remove the air conditioner from the kitchen window. That is the only window it can go in, but it's also the only window in my kitchen so it blocks the light and I have to look at it instead of the back yard while I do the dishes. Now I can watch the chipmunks come and go and watch my Dad putter around the yard. Much better. Yeah, I know I go on and on about fall, but it's my favorite time of year so I will probably continue until it snows and then I will expound on how beautiful the snow is. What can I say, I'm just a happy person!

Today I am going to finish painting the swamp mud on the tree; tomorrow I will sponge paint some colors on there.

No comments: