Wednesday, November 28, 2007

This is how it starts....

...the obsession with a new project. I recently did a show where I met Kim Vredenburg, a very talented artist who works in glass. While her work was absolutely beautiful, the thing I couldn't take my eyes from was a pendant she was wearing that she had bought from another artist. It too was glass, although it didn't look like it. It was about 3" long and had a picture of a seahorse on it, a very fancy one with long spines, looked almost like a dragon. Finally I had to sketch it:Because the wheels started to turn, and I could just picture it (it was shades of brown and tan) made out of fabric, in shades of teal and turquoise, with many beads and wire....somehow. So the other day I took the next step, which was to sketch out a full-size pattern. Well, the thing is two feet tall. I can't decide if this is way too big or not, so now I'm stalled. If I make it this big, it's going to be a monstrosity and may lose some of it's coolness factor. But the smaller I make it, the more difficult it's going to be to work with all those spines, which are going to have to have wire in them I think, to maintain their spinyness. (spell check is telling me that "spinyness" isn't a word. I beg to differ, and reserve the right to make up my own words.) So I will ruminate on that subject for a while longer.

On the music front, we have a show to play! I am most excited. Turns out Decorus Mens could not find an opening act for tomorrow night at Bobby G's, so PJ asked me if we would do it. Although, as I reminded him, there is no "we" at this point, I decided it wouldn't hurt to ask Joe T. if he was up for playing some stuff as a three piece. Fortunately, he was! So now we get to play. And then Sunday we are jamming with another guy, in the hopes of putting an actual band together. I sure miss the regular gigs. Of course there's all the hassle and frustration that goes along with having a band, but that's a pain you forget...kind of like childbirth, or nobody would ever do it again.

No comments: