Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Gobble, gobble, gobble....

....yeah, yeah, yeah....
It's ten minutes till Thanksgiving, and here's wishing everybody a happy one! Thanksgiving dinner is at my brother's house, because his looks like something from Better Homes and the rest of the family's houses....well, do not. My part is about done, my pie is in the oven. That's the thing about having a small house, it's both a blessing and a curse; on the one hand, I never have to have the holiday dinners here. On the other hand, I never get to have the holiday dinners here. I really would like to, but there's just no room to put anybody!

So I just bring the pie. Mainly because I'm a pie snob, I can't stand those Pillsbury premade cardboard pie crusts everybody uses for some reason I can't figure out. I always make my own, just like Mom taught me. Except Mom now uses Pillsbury crusts. I guess she figures she raised me right and now she's done so it's time to coast. Problem with all that pie is that the dinner is SO good and my sister-in-law Ronda goes to SO much trouble with it, that nobody ever has room for pie so we just end up dividing them up and sending them home! So this year it's just one pie. I did make the traditional peanut butter pie for PJ to take with him though.

PJ and his friends, for many years, have celebrated "Thanksgiving II" which entails getting together the day after Thanksgiving and making a meal out of all the leftovers they have all absconded with the day before. Several years ago I thought that peanut butter pie sounded like something different for Thanksgiving, so I made one. But the thing was just so sweet and rich that nobody could finish a piece. So I gave the rest to PJ to feed to his friends the next day. I guess it was a big hit, so now I make them one every year. I still couldn't finish a piece, and I have a major sweet tooth. But I don't have to eat it, I just have to make it!

No comments: