Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mortal Furniture Sins....

...are what I committed this week. According to Preston. I dug out two more yard sale finds I had been saving, and one is a bentwood chair that turned out to be almost a hundred years old. I painted it, and I thought Preston was going to stroke out. But to be fair, the thing was not in the greatest condition, and it was not extremely valuable. I checked, of course. And now, complete with a purple velvet seat, it fits with the rest of the store, which is taking on a look I can't quite pigeonhole...without seeing it all put together, it has a certain 20's vibe...purple velvet cornices, flat black details, some gloss lacquer-looking black...but by the time it's all put together in the next couple of days it will probably morph into something else entirely. I'll just have to wait and see. I started out with the intention of not making the place too girl-y, because I do have a lot of male customers. But, it is what it is.

The other yard sale find was only a minor sin I guess, it was a little plant stand not quite so old as the chair, but I needed to use it for my telephone so of course I had to paint it...gloss black, to match the chair. I only painted it because it was kind of beat up, even though it's going to be stuffed in the corner, because it might not be stuffed in the corner it's whole life. Plus I love to paint. Mind you, I'm not good at it, in fact I really suck at it. There's just no other word for it. If you look in the dictionary under "suck" there's a picture of me with a paintbrush in my hand. As I told Preston, why do you think I decorate everything?? I'm pretty good at that, it's just the painting of large expanses of one color that I can't seem to master. So please don't look too closely at the walls in the store.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Show me the PURPLE!!!!