Sunday, February 10, 2008

Day 2, in which we begin to paint....

...ok, not paint, primer. But it looks a whole lot brighter in there now. This is what it looked like before we started; old nasty paneling which was badly installed and bowing out from the walls in places, and the previous tenant had put up stuff all over the walls using tape, which of course took a layer of skin off the paneling. Day 1 was spent in washing the walls and fixing what could be fixed with regard to the paneling. Being married to a carpenter for this long has given me an appreciation for a job well done; and the first thing you need to do when putting up paneling is to pay attention to where the studs are, so that you have something to nail the paneling to. If you don't do that, bad things will happen down the road. Bad things have happened in my store, and all of them can't be fixed but Preston did the best he could and sincerely hopes that I will have many things hanging on the walls. I don't think that'll be a problem.

This is the front wall: on the right side of the windows there is about a foot of space, then the side wall. It's very small, only 9' x 17', but it's room enough. The two desks were left there by the previous tenant; my landlady offered to get rid of them, but I said I would use them. After trying to move them, I can imagine how relieved she must have been when I said that; each one weighs as much as a volkswagen. I won't be rearranging my furniture very often.

No comments: