Thursday, September 27, 2007

Progress on the tree....


...is not really visible today, but I did get a coat of primer on it. It took me a long time to try and get the paint in all those little nooks and crannies, and when I was done my paintbrush was pretty much done as well. Tough stuff, that plaster. It's going to take me even longer to do the real paint, because it's looking like I'm going to have to use a small brush to make sure I get in all the nooks and crannies. So then I went back with my little sea sponge and sponged on some light blue paint around the branches. I tried to make it not look like sponge marks, because I think that looks tacky, and I think I succeeded. Probably you won't see much of it when the leaves are done, but I thought a little blue would give the whole thing more depth. It almost sounds like I know what I'm doing, doesn't it? Well I don't. I'm making all this up as I go along and hoping for the best!! It's going to look a whole lot better when I start to paint the trunk and branches, because what you can't really see in this picture is that the branches extend beyond where the plaster is, and some of them cross over each other. The plaster extends beyond where the screen is, in the hope that the transition from dimensional branches to flat leaves would be as smooth as possible.

Tonight we go see Decorus Mens at the URI coffeehouse...doesn't "coffeehouse" bring to mind a picture of acoustic music? Not so, not at all. Not tonight, anyway! Tonight's lineup also includes Animals Among Men, who are about as far from acoustic as you can get, and Seven Suns, who are also pretty heavy. I was not really able to get good pics at the Bobby G's show, because of the lighting and the way the band was set up, but I'll try again tonight.

No comments: