Saturday, April 20, 2013

Next!

 So now that I finished the chair and stool (yay!!) I finally started on the bureau I bought, what, two years ago?  I think it was two years.  I have been waiting for inspiration as to what I wanted it to look like, but it's not coming to me, or at least it's not coming to me all at once.  I have a general idea, but no specific details.  But since it's got to have a few small repairs and be primed first anyway, I was hoping a little hands-on would break the ice and maybe something specific would present itself.  So yesterday I broke out the primer and got going.  Unlike the chair and stool, which probably came from IKEA or some unfinished furniture place, the little bureau was quite obviously handmade by someone who had a need for a little bureau.  It's a sturdy little thing, but it's got some quirks that made me pause to reconsider whether I really wanted to proceed.  But ya know, those little quirks are what drew me to it in the first place so I got out the brads and wood glue and it will be just fine.  All I know for sure at this point is that I want the insides of the drawers to be green, and the outside (probably) to be white.  The rest is up in the air. And since yard sale season is almost upon us, with its promise of new projects, I'd better get to it.







I finished the pink dress!  I'm happy with the way it came out, black drawers and all.  And it's attracting quite a bit of attention at the shop, probably because of its in-your-face pinkness which is actually MUCH more intense than this pic shows.  And the next project in the clothing department has been started; it's a sundress set with the color combination of turquoise and mustard, which made Sparky go "ugh" and make the corresponding ugh face.  While I can't claim the idea, as I started with a seersucker plaid in those colors, I think it's going to work. 


Spring has brought a very welcome transformation here at the compound, where the daffodils are in full glorious bloom and everything else is waking up and showing signs of life, including me and Sparky.  We've been talking a lot about what we're going to plant this year and where to plant it, although the soil around here is terrible and a lot of things just won't tolerate it.  But we have the ugliness of many tree stumps in the front yard this year, and short of hiring a backhoe to dig them up ($$$$$) there's really not much we can do but plant some ground cover and hope we can hide them.


Any suggestions?

No comments: