Wednesday, April 3, 2013

In For a Penny....

 ...in for a pound, isn't that what they say?  I seem to be having some sort of existential crisis regarding my latest project but in the end I decided to just go with my gut and see what results.  I'll explain:  I had this hot pink fabric left over from another order, and for some reason it screamed "baby dress" at me.  The little black swirls dictated that the dress should have black details, which was ok with me although kind of edgy for a baby. (I actually went on Etsy to see if anybody else had hot pink-and-black baby dresses, totally out of character for me.  I usually don't care.  There were a few, not many).  But then the crisis began.  Black bloomers? On a baby?  I just didn't know. Maybe a lighter shade of pink? You just CAN'T put black undies on a baby, can you?  I waited until the dress was almost done before I came to the conclusion that no other color would do, so I've committed to the pink and black.  It'll be fine.  Plus it seems like the weirdest things I come up with are the ones that find a home first.  We'll see.




Meet Pat!  In case you've never seen the Saturday Night Live sketch, Pat is a person of indeterminate gender.  Since my other dummies have names,  of course the new kid on the block had to have one.  I like Pat because s/he has no face.  When I went mannequin shopping on Ebay, I found a whole lot of child mannequins have faces that are supposed to be cute, I guess, but are just really scary and if I had to look at one every day I would have nightmares.  So I was very happy to find Pat.  Really needed a model for my stuff!
So prom and powwow seasons hit me every spring at roughly the same time, and this year is shaping up to be no exception.  While I cannot prepare for prom season, I do try to have some ready-made regalia pieces available for sale even though most of the pieces  I make are custom orders.  These foxes were something I made for a set of men's fancy last year, but they didn't really work with the rest of the colors so we went in another direction.  They were a lot of work and I was pretty proud of them since I'm not an "artist" and so if I can make something realistic that comes out this good, it's a happy accident.  So I am designing a set of men's pieces around the fox faces, and hopefully they will strike someone's fancy. 

And now, friends and neighbors, it's time to go refuel with some spaghetti and meatballs!! Not as good as Sparky's, but they'll do.

No comments: