Monday, July 4, 2011

Beating the Heat...

Is much easier in the pool for poor Myah, who suffers so much from the heat. As soon as we put in the air conditioner, she parks herself in front of it and barely moves until October or whenever we are able to put it away for the winter. Today it's the 4th and although it's been hotter, it's so stinking humid that you can't move without breaking a sweat. Mosquito weather.

Today I worked more on "the mess". I moved a bunch of scrap wood, which turned out to be so rotted that it wasn't any good even for campfire wood so into the dumpster it went. I felt a little bad at the upheaval I caused in what was really a tiny little ecosystem all its own, but I guess the critters will find somewhere else to live. There were many pissed-off ants, big ones with eggs. Wonder if they'll move into Sparky's house now.

So today I celebrate freedom from junk. I know it's not what our founding fathers had in mind, but it's what's on MY mind of late. Seriously, the whole process is having a major effect on my outlook, and I may need therapy when this is over. After spending so much time sorting through the odds and ends that my dad couldn't ever part with, I have the really disconcerting compulsion to get rid of all my stuff. I don't really have much personal stuff to begin with; I have only a few knicknacks, and only one or two of them really mean anything to me. I don't have a whole lot of clothes; not because I can't afford them, but because a) I don't have a lot of closet space, and b) I HATE to shop. Really, the only thing I have a lot of are sewing supplies and fabric. But those are the tools of my trade, and they're in their own storage shed, not in my house. So really, what would I get rid of? But the thought of having STUFF makes me a little claustrophobic, if that makes any sense.

Therapy. I told you.

No comments: