Saturday, December 6, 2008

What, Thanksgiving's over?.....

...I guess I didn't get that memo. Ok, once again I got sidetracked in the middle of my thought process. If I had a dime for every time….oh hey, there’s a squirrel hanging by one toe from my bird feeder! Oh, what was I talking about? Oh yea, I was giving thanks.

I’m thankful for my wonderful husband. As anybody who knows us can tell you, we’ve been pretty much joined at the hip for the last 26 years. We’ve only spent two nights apart, and that was when he went to Virginia for his grandmother’s funeral. I sometimes even after all these years can’t believe how lucky I am to have found THE ONE. How many people search their whole lives and can’t find that? He gets me, even at times when I don’t get myself.

I’m thankful for my son, who has been nothing but a joy to me since the day he was born. He’s talented, funny, intelligent, and just a good person. He’s doing what he loves in life, and he’s happy. What parent could ask for more than that for their child? Well I guess a lot of parents wish for different things, but not me. I’m very proud of him, for the performer he is and for the man he is.

I’m thankful for my family…my beautiful sister (who put up with the bratty child I was) who I miss, along with her family, every day (they live way across the country), my nutty brother who managed to get through a lot of crap in life with his sense of humor intact, and his nutty wife who got through a lot of it with him and also kept HER sense of humor. They were actually together for more years before they were married than a lot of other marriages even last.

And I’m thankful for my friends. I don’t have a lot of close friends, never have…unlike my son, who seems to have dozens. I don’t feel bad about that, it’s just the way I am. I have many people who I’m friendly WITH, but then there’s Lisa, who was my best friend in high school and who I still am in contact with on a semi-regular basis…real life intervenes, sometimes we don’t talk for up to a year. But when we do, we pick up right where we left off. We have a long, long history. And then there’s Carol. Here’s how it is with Carol; .if anyone wanted to follow a conversation between us for more than 5 minutes, they’d need a glossary. I don’t really know how to explain that, but if you have a close friend you probably know what I mean. She listens to me bitch about my problems and I listen to her whine about hers. We tell each other how great we are, and then we have more tea. It’s like therapy, only cheaper.

No comments: