Wednesday, July 23, 2008

They say you learn something new every day.....

....and today I learned that I am utterly fascinated by the subject of Steampunk. Or Steam Punk. I don't know which one is correct; each one, when googled, nets the same results.I'm not sure how to define the word (or words), except to give the above example (and if this is your pic, please don't sue me. I sit in awe of your creativity and only wish to share it with the world!) Steam punk seems to be characterized mainly by the presence of many extraneous pieces and parts, and is inspired by late 19th-century fashion and technology. Think Captain Nemo's Nautilus, H.G. Wells' time machine. Apparently this has been going on for a good twenty years, and what I want to know is, where the hell was I?

The thing I find most intriguing at the moment is that Steam Punk involves it's own sort of fashion trends, which appear to resemble some weird sort of Victorian clothes on acid. I can most definitely get into that, especially since lately I have been commissioned to sew some Victorian mens' clothing for a couple of different people, which has renewed my obsession with Folkwear patterns. I used to have a huge stash of them, expensive bloody things that they are, until squirrels plotted against me and turned my precious collection into confetti. Well most of it, anyway. 15 or so survived, and I have the Folkwear website and a credit card, so all is not lost!

No comments: