Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th!

Last night we got treated to a fireworks show, right in our own backyard! Well actually it was our neighbor's backyard, but close enough....close enough to hear the pieces falling all around me! That makes me a little nervous, but I guess they have all burned out by the time they hit the ground. It reminded me of when we went to the Richmond 250th Anniversary at the Chariho school baseball field. They had those great big fireworks, set off right above the field which was really cool UNTIL shells the size of half a coconut started falling on people and cars and the big cloud of sulfur and whatever else results from fireworks drifted over the field. Guess that wasn't such a good idea after all. Anyway, the ones last night were not that big. Our poor dog was less than impressed though, she spent the duration underneath the computer desk!

In honor of the 4th I am recommending that everyone who has HBO watch "Assume the Position with Robert Wuhl". I guess you could call it a comedy routine, but it's more like a history lesson. He does it in a lecture hall in front of a bunch of college kids. I don't know how much of what he says is actually true, although it's presented that way, but even if it's not true it makes you look twice at all the history you were force-fed when you were in school.

Speaking of history, I also recommend that anyone who lives in RI and SE Connecticut visit the Tomaquag Museum (www.tomaquagmuseum.com). It is very small, only two rooms, but has a lot of Native American history packed into a small space. If you're lucky you'll get to talk to my friend Paulla Dove Jennings, who is just fascinating to listen to and knows just about everything there is to know about the museum and its contents.

In other local news, my beets are still alive! I really can't believe the fragile little things survived being transplanted. As did everything else in the garden! We do need some rain though, Preston watered last night when he got home from baseball but it's not the same. I guess it's supposed to rain tonight, unfortunately for anyone who is planning to go see fireworks. My sister, my neice and my grandnephew are flying in tonight from California for a 2-week visit so I hope the weather is not TOO bad!

Well it's time for the Bristol 4th of July Parade which I attend every year from the comfort of my living room, so I'll say again Happy 4th to everyone!

No comments: