The consensus here is that it's a sewing table, and who am I to argue? It's got some sort of drawer inset in it, could be for spools of thread or could be for pencils, I have no idea. It came to me with only one drawer pull, so the hunt was on. But the first thing I found out was that the screw holes were too close together! Modern drawer pulls have holes 3" apart. So I had to plug them and drill them out again.
here, in this really cool blog!
|I don't think it's supposed to look like that.|
So I got the glue and followed the directions--or so I thought--and the results were....well, see for yourself:
Here's what I think happened, so you can learn from my foolishness. Combination of:
1. Not waiting for the glue to get tacky. The instructions clearly stated that you need to do the top coat before the glue dries, or it won't work. I think I didn't wait quite long enough.
2. Too thick top coat. This was also probably due to the fact that the glue was too wet. My brush kept disturbing the glue underneath, so i was using a lot of paint so I could just apply it on top of the glue without making a mess.
3. Working on a vertical surface. That was just plain stupid. Everything just went south.
So I got a rag and a bucket and washed it all off and started again, laid the table on its side and did one panel at a time. That worked much better. I had already done the drawer fronts, so I know the technique worked.
Habitat ReStore in Charlestown, brand new in the package. All I did was paint them, then get out the wood glue and wrap them in twine.
So the painting is all done now. What's next is going to be to apply the mosaic top. That's why the sand in the primer, research about mosaic revealed that the surface to which you apply the Thinset should be rough. And sealed. So that accomplished both. This is why I was excited to find this table, the top with it's picture frame edge just screamed mosaic, and my favorite mosaic material is seaglass. The challenge was to find enough seaglass that was flat, because being a table top I thought the least I could do was to make it level so it could actually be used. So that's what's on tap for tomorrow, putting on the top.
Other than the table, and trying to figure out just how many projects I already have in various stages of completion, I have been working on this baby afghan using the diamond stitch that Sue taught me. It takes me forever to crochet stuff, whereas she can bang out 6 or 7 hats in a day AND make dinner.
This is just one "square", I guess you call it. The whole thing will probably consist of a dozen of these, with a border. Don't hold your breath.