Monday, September 29, 2014

The Many Lives of My New Chair

Yucky green lumpy upholstery...
...and underneath THAT was even yucker!
...underneath it was this....
Someone's been chewing on the rails.
When we left to go see what the yard sales were offering on Saturday, I swore to Sparky; "Let's take YOUR car. If it won't fit in the back seat, I don't need it!" Turns out big things fit in the back seat.  I spotted this awesome chair, and the woman who sold it to me said, "It needs a lot of work", and I said "That's ok, I can fix it.  It called me".  She tried to sell me an end table too, and I said "hmm....no thanks.  That doesn't call me" to which she replied, "I sure wish it would call SOMEone!"   No idea if it ever did, but it had nothing to say to me so I left it there.  Meanwhile the chair is in my living room all glued and clamped.  It's missing two of the bracing pieces that go under the seat, which had a really lumpy upholstery job on it.  When I took it off, I realized why;  underneath it were two previous upholstery jobs.  Neither of which, as it turns out, are original to the chair because even the seat board was a replacement!  I'm going to try to take this one right down to the bare wood and stain it, I can't really tell what kind of wood it is but although the finish is really, really banged up the wood itself is in excellent condition.  And check out the carving on the back rest!  The chair I posted about last time is going to have to take a back seat for a while...or who knows, maybe I'll work on both of them at once.  I did finish the table finally, and brought it to Bristol with me for the show I did.  It got a lot of attention and nice compliments, so that was fun.  I'm asking $75 for it. 

On the music front, many avenues seem to have opened up at the same time for me.  Trying to put a rock band together but having trouble finding a singer, but at the same time I have been asked to audition as bass player in a working country band and also have been asked to play keys and sing in another, almost-working rock band.  I've also been working on some acoustic guitar stuff, maybe down the road I'll hook up with someone who wants to do an acoustic duo or trio project.  So many directions I could go, so for now I'll just go in ALL of them and see what transpires.  It keeps my mind occupied so I don't have time to sit and think.

Next up is the show at Smith Castle in North Kingstown, this Saturday.  I've never done that show either, so I don't know what to expect.  If the weather cooperates, it should be fun!  If there are a lot of people, I always have fun regardless of how my sales go.  Of course ultimately this is a job so it matters how much I sell, but I meet a lot of nice people and compare notes with other artists so that counts for something too!





No comments: